These are common user stories related to DevOps that were discussed in a LinkedIn discussion here. I have repeated them in this post for my convenience and to make them a little more readable. Some I agree should be on the list and others I’m not quite sure about. Please refer to the original thread for details.
- As a developer, when starting with a new company, I want to be able to be up and running (full working environment) in less than 1 hour.
- As a developer, when I need to perform a very small (i.e. cosmetic) change, I want to be able to deploy it in less than 1 hour.
- As a developer, I want to understand the operational environment into which my application will be deployed.
- As a developer I need to understand operational requirements for my application (not just user requirements).
- As a developer, I need feedback from operations on the impacts of my application on the operational environment so I can improve its behavior over time.
- As a developer or end user i want to be able to request an environment and all supporting environments with networking constructs on demand or self serviced.
- As a developer, I want to be notified when application performance falls below a threshold.
- As a developer, I want to be notified when applications crash or are consuming too many resources in a production environment.
- As a developer, I want to receive periodic reports on application usage so that I can see trends over time
- As a Sys Admin, I need to know what the developers are working on so I can provide operational requirements and prepare for applications’ deployment.
- As a Sys Admin, I need insight into the internal states and behavior of the applications that are deployed so I can operate and tune them most effectively.
- As a Sys Admin, I need to build relationships with the developers so I can have an open and positive relationship with them.
- As a Sys Admin, I need to know / monitor the state of the application.
- As a Sys Admin, I need to know what parts of the configuration can be tuned.
- As a Sys Admin, I want to have an overview of the application architecture so that I know which applications depend on which services.